JUNIOR SERVICE LEAGUE organized January 19, 1929, by Mrs. Rust MacPherson with a charter membership of 12.
Total membership at the end of the year numbered 65.
Main project - decorating and equipping the Children’s Ward at Saginaw General Hospital.
Organized volunteer work began in the hospitals and with various social agencies in the city.
Musical comedy “Why Not?” presented as the principal money raising activity.
Name of JUNIOR SERVICE LEAGUE changed to SERVICE CLUB. First training course given.
Arts and interests committee initiated the giving of children’s plays “Sleeping Beauty” and “The Bremen Musicians.”
Club rooms acquired in the Bank of Saginaw.
Main project - establishment of First Ward Community Center June 15, 1930.
Musical comedy “Flame of India” presented as the principal money raising activity.
Enlargement of First Ward program to include a nutrition center.
First monthly news sheet issued.
Placement hour system organized.
The play “Cinderella” given.
Replacement of one large money raising activity by a group of small ventures with each member responsible for the earning of $5.00 in addition to dues.
Trained worker secured to further develop the work at Community Center. Garden Club organized.
Newly organized Children’s Theatre committee presented “Beauty and the Beast”, “The Three Bears”, and “Darby and Joan”. Money raising activities again limited to small projects of which two rummage sales were the most successful.
SERVICE CLUB became THE JUNIOR LEAGUE OF SAGINAW, MICHIGAN, INC., February 14, 1934.
First delegates sent to Association Conference.
“Rumpelstilskin” and “The King’s Breakfast” given.
Fall and spring rummage sales repeated.
Secured club rooms in Chase Building.
‘Steadfast Tin Soldier’ given as major production.
“Little Red Riding Hood” first production given with children. Numerous small money raising projects continued.
Hour system discarded for the new placement system.
Handley School work begun.
January 1, 1936, Community Center became the First Ward Community Service when the management as well as partial financial responsibility was taken over by the Welfare League.
“Aladdin” presented as major production.
Weaving started at Handley School.
Member appointed to represent Junior League on the newly formed Council of Social Agencies.
“The Duel” and “LittleBlack Sambo” given with children again used as actors.
1936 Follies, “Bermuda Bound” given and netted $2,300.00.
Became distributing agency for toys purchased for the Melville Brooks’ Fund.
Children’s theatre brought “Pinocchio Ballet” with ticket sale permitted in the schools.
1938 Follies, “Bermuda Bound” given and netted $2,800.00.
First art exhibit given in January 1939.
First children’s theatre series, including two attractions brought through Junior Programs and League Production of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.