About Our Members
Founded in 1938, the Junior League of the Great Lakes Bay Region is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
Our membership is a diverse group of more than 300 women who annually give more than 1,500 uncompensated hours of service to the projects and agencies supported by the League. We’ve given almost $600,000 since we started in 1938 to the Mid Michigan Region. Active members range in age from 23 to 44, and 76% are employed outside the home. They serve on numerous boards and coalitions throughout the community.
We are Volunteers, Professors, Bankers, Government Professionals, Homemakers, Artists, Students, Business Owners, Lawyers, Cosmetologists, Interior Designers, Consultants, Doctors, Insurance Specialists, Coaches, Nurses…
We are young, not-so young, single, married, moms, married-without-children…
We live in Saginaw, Bay City, Midland, Freeland, Essexville, Chesaning, Birch Run, Frankenmuth, Fairgrove…
We train, volunteer, advocate, lead, laugh, teach, network, fundraise, research, make new friends, learn, grow, and most importantly, help women and children in need.
While we come from many different walks of life and live throughout the the Great Lakes Bay Region, we share a common commitment: to improve the quality of life in our community.
We are excited to extend to you an opportunity to join a powerful, passionate, and progressive group of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community in which we live.
Benefits of Membership
- Connections – We connect to communities in need, to people we serve and to those we serve with.
- Training – Our “on-the-job” training through volunteering provides new skills for lifelong use. We have programs that help train for effective community service and leadership, including finance, fundraising, leadership, public relations and marketing, advocacy and personal development.
- Pursuit of Interests – Opportunity to engage with like-minded women and pursue common interests.
- Leadership Development – Opportunities to serve on community Boards of Directors and chair committees that make an impact in the community.
- Community Impact – We take pride in our awareness of community needs and opportunities to contribute to solutions so that we can continue to make a positive impact in the community.
- Membership Transferability – League membership is transferable throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and England.
- New friends and opportunities - For continued growth and personal fulfillment.
Annual Duties of Active Membership
- Attendance at General Membership Meetings
- Placement participation
- Annual Dues
Diversity Outreach Statement
The Junior League of the Great Lakes Bay Region is committed to:
- Fostering a culture of inclusion by embracing a diverse membership and encouraging our membership to integrate diverse perspectives.
- Promoting understanding of, and sensitivity to diverse perspectives through education and training.
- Striving to accurately represent the community and provide our members with the skills necessary to serve the diverse population of The the Great Lakes Bay Region.
Our definition of diversity includes, but is not limited to, these 8 main social identifiers: Gender, Race, Religion, Age, Ability, Socioeconomic class, Sexual orientation and Ethnicity.
If you have questions about or are interested in joining the Junior League, please contact our new member trainer at firstname.lastname@example.org.